Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Orchid Bazaar at Singapore Botanical Gardens

In the meantime, I was trying to find out where orchid sources are in Singapore and what are the species suited to local climate. I heard about this monthly plant sales while visiting the website and decided to venture there to look at the offers.

There weren't many stores, roughly 3-4, and were set ups by local nurseries, as far as I can tell. One of which was Song Orchids. Please correct me if I'm mistaken. 

We loved some of these orchids and the colour just reminded us of the sakura we saw in Tokyo, coupled with the stems which looked like tree branches. Why didn't I buy this?Hahaha.. Moving on...

If I'm not wrong, this should be Coelogyne rochussenii, the spikes trailing to a length of almost 1.5m, I think. This specimen is one that I will specially reserve a spot in my garden for. =)

Snippets of info:
Description
Plants bloom throughout the year with forty 6.25 cm wide flowers. Flowers can be fragrant with the scent of lemon.
This species was named after J.J Rochussen, governor-general of the Dutch East Indies in the mid 19th century.

Distribution

Plant is found growing on large trees in the lowland montane forest of Malaya, Borneo, Java and Sumatra and the Philippines.

Culture

Plants are usually grown in baskets. Plant grows in intermediate to warm temperatures with partial shade. Water regularly through the year. Pot in a well drain medium. Pot in a plastic or clay pot with a mix of fine fir bark, tree fern fibers, and perlite or pot in New Zealand sphagnum moss.


source: orchids wiki
I really couldn't decide what to get and I was mesmerised by this young boy who was rattling off the names of the orchids just beside me. But as the weather was getting warmer, plus hunger pangs struck us, I decided to bring home a Queen. BLC Marie's Song to be precise. She was Georgeous! Rather like a ballerina, I fell in love with her skirts, even though her neighbour, had more spikes and more pseudobulbs.

I got her home and after 2 weeks, I finally found the time to photograph her blooms in the last stages.


1 comment:

  1. Very Informative! This blog is great source of information which is very useful for me. Thank you very much for sharing this!
    Unique Gifts Singapore

    ReplyDelete