Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My Orchid Haven

I supposed I have to do the 'self'introductory' post to begin somewhere. Luckily, I only got into the orchid craze about 3 months ago so I can sort of document my journey into orchids and the rewarding grace they bring. I find it hard to believe that it has only been 3 months. Already, I'm running out of sill space!

What started me on the orchids was really quite incidental. If you have been to Singapore and you are an avid plant lover, I'm sure you know the Singapore National Park's Botanical Gardens.It's one of the most lush Asian gardens and I love walking around in the evenings. The Garden's souvenir shop has little orchid seedlings in glass capsule for tourists to bring home maybe a Vanda Miss Joaquin. I really like those plants and from there, I started looking around for the orchid nurseries in Singapore.

There are helpful information on the web and most of all, the forums are alive with orchid lovers and they are really the friendliest people. I started out with 3 flasks of orchids, bought a few pots, was given a few more and started to really grow an indiscriminate collection.

This idea of a blog really also begun after I read the Backbulbs blog by Richard Lindbergh. The idea of reviving orchids is really in my mind after a few friends gave me their dying orchids. In the tropics, orchids are common gifts for Chinese New Year and other festivals. Some people, after the flowers die off, have absolutely no idea what to do with these beauties. They are either rotted or dried out or discarded after the flowering.

I like orchids. This blog is about my orchids and reviving new orchids that somehow winded up with me.  Thanks for starting on this journey with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment