Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Flask no 1: Vanda mini Palmer x V. Coerulea x V. Rinka

I choose this flask mainly because blue flowers are pretty rare compared to reds and yellows. Vanda leaves structure is upward growing and seem to be one of the easier ones that can tolerate the hot and wet climate.

First step of course: read through as many experiences as possible that other hobyists post. Since everyone has a slightly different way of doing things, I decided that true to character I should proceed with the most fuss-free and logical method.

Taken on Jan 2011

  1. I uncorked the flask and tried to forcep the seedlings out. Bad mistake. They are tender and their roots are very brittle and the flask mouth was tiny. 
  2. Wrapped in newspaper, I hammered the flask a couple of times and successfully fished out the seedlings in record time. 
  3. As they all advised, wash the seedling thoroughly since the gel will cause rot rot. I rinsed the babies with rainwater a couple of times and lay them out to dry.
  4. Next, I made little pits on the sphagum moss bed/charcoal bed to plant in the seedlings. This is mainly because some nurseries advised that the seedlings prefer to be in a community pot environment rather than individually planted. 
  5. I put them into 2 separate pots in case root rot sets in, I wouldn't lose the whole batch. They are covered under glass for the next 2 weeks to keep the moisture in and acclimatise them. I let some air in every day and at the last few days, I started opening them up at night and maintain the glass cover only in the day.

      

     So the question is, did they do well? Looking back at this photo taken in early Feb 2011, I think the seedlings looked definitely better when they were just deflasked. However, I do not know whether this is the norm- when the seedlings were shocked by the deflasking, they will take some time to regrow their roots(which were used to the gel medium) or my planting didn't quite suit them. 
    Taken on Mar 2011

    I have since repotted them into semi-hydro perlite, let's see whether this works before I try the other two.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment